Licensed Veterinary Technician, Internal Medicine
Licensed Veterinary Technician, Internal Medicine
Compassionate and Collaborative Care at the World’s Largest Non-Profit Animal Hospital
The Schwarzman Animal Medical Center’s commitment to compassionate and pioneering veterinary care dates back to 1910 when it was founded as a clinic to help animals whose owners could not afford treatment. We continue this this legacy today as the world’s largest non-profit animal hospital and the premier veterinary hospital in the tri-state area, maintaining the only Level 1 Trauma Center in NYC and the highest standards of care as part of our American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) accreditation. With 120+ veterinarians working collaboratively across 20 specialties and services, our team prides itself on delivering world class veterinary care to help keep pet families together.
A Commitment to Lifelong Learning
When you join the team at AMC, you join a renowned team of veterinary professionals dedicated to innovative care, research, and education. Our prestigious postgraduate education programs attract future leaders in veterinary medicine, and the clinical research conducted at AMC has led to breakthroughs that change the way care is delivered industry-wide. This shared commitment to learning and innovative care creates a collegial, collaborative environment with rewarding opportunities for advancement, growth, and mentorship.
The Future of Veterinary Medicine
We’re building the future of veterinary medicine at the Schwarzman Animal Medical Center, thanks to our transformative Gift of Love campaign to expand and enhance our clinical, educational, and research capacities. Construction is currently underway to add 37,000 square feet of new and renovated space, ensuring AMC is at the forefront of veterinary medicine for generations to come.
Being a Licensed Veterinary Technician in AMC’s Internal Medicine Service
AMC’s Internal Medicine service is one of our hospital’s largest services, providing care for pets throughout the tri-state area, 7 days a week. Our Internal Medicine technicians are highly experienced and work alongside seven board-certified specialists to provide excellent care and support for our patients and clients. Our Internal Medicine technicians establish lasting and supportive relationships with our clients and their pets. They provide important client education for various disease processes during routine tech appointments for serial lab work, diabetes management, and much more. Our technicians also provide anesthesia support and participate in procedures like endoscopy, bronchoscopy, colonoscopy, and CT scans.
The Schwarzman Animal Medical Center is also proud to be one of the few veterinary facilities that provide hemodialysis and extracorporeal blood purification therapies for dogs and cats. AMC’s Internal Medicine technicians work with our hemodialysis specialists to provide these lifesaving therapies, in addition to their work with the Internal Medicine service.
- Provide exceptional and compassionate care for patients of the Internal Medicine service from admission through discharge
- Provide support for veterinarians during clinical hours, including client communications
- Provide anesthesia and surgical nursing support and post-operative recovery for patients
- Must be proficient in blood draws, peripheral catheter placements, and sample submissions
- Operate and maintain surgical and anesthetic equipment
- Communicate professionally and effectively with clients and referring veterinarians
- Participation in educational and research projects with Internal Medicine focus
- Must have NYS Veterinary Technician’s license
- Experience working in a veterinary specialty hospital preferred but willing to hire and train the right person that shares our core values and supports our mission
- Ability to lift and restrain animals weighing up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to work with and handle all species, including birds, reptiles, and exotic mammals
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, respectful working relationships and customer satisfaction with all stakeholders, including department staff, medical staff, support staff, clients, and referring veterinarians
- Must be able to work successfully as part of a team
- Must have ability to remain composed in stressful and emergency situations
- Flexibility and the ability to accommodate shift work in a hospital that is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Our comprehensive benefits package includes:
- Competitive salary
- Generous sign-on bonus
- Four-day work week
- Generous paid time off
- Tuition assistance
- 75% discount on veterinary care
- Mentorship through the VTS process
- Continuing education funds with rollover options
- NYS Licensing fee reimbursement
- Relocation reimbursement for qualified candidates who live outside the NYC metropolitan area
- Free housing for 1 year for qualified candidates who live outside of the NYC metropolitan area
- 403b matching
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- You may be eligible for The Public Loan Service Forgiveness Program as we are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit employer
$30.00 – $37.50 per hour
Interested and qualified candidates should email resume/application, with cover letter, to email@example.com or fax 212-758-8157.