About the Schwarzman Animal Medical Center
A leading animal hospital with a 111-year legacy, AMC offers specialty, emergency, and primary care to nearly 60,000 patient visits annually. As a mission-driven non-profit, we provide animals with the gold standard in patient care while emphasizing lifelong learning. We are dedicated to supporting excellence in clinical practice and postgraduate education, ensuring rewarding careers and opportunities for growth.
AMC offers a unique hybrid of academia and clinical practice that creates a collegial environment, promoting inter-departmental consultations and holistic, collaborative patient care. Our senior clinicians and educators are leaders in their fields, and our commitment to research means we are constantly pushing the boundaries of veterinary medicine.
Our hospital is currently undergoing a major expansion and renovation to add 11,000 square feet of new clinical and client space while simultaneously renovating 26,000 existing square feet to ensure AMC remains at the forefront of veterinary medicine and making way for new and expanded services. We are currently seeking veterinary assistants to work in various departments throughout AMC.
The Veterinary Assistant Role at AMC
Veterinary assistants play a vital role at the Schwarzman Animal Medical Center. They work alongside our veterinarians and veterinary technicians to provide comfort and care for all our patients. Our veterinary assistants help during patient exams, blood sampling, catheter placement, and assist in running point of care laboratory tests. Our veterinary assistants also take radiographs, assist in ultrasound, and even help prepare surgical instruments and operating room set up. Veterinary assistants can take advantage of our career ladder to learn and grow into advanced positions like surgical instrument assistants and patient care assistants. We also offer tuition assistance to employees wanting to continue their educational goals and the ability to earn externship hours for accredited veterinary technology programs.
We have openings in multiple departments, including:
- Emergency and Critical Care
- Internal Medicine
- Special Care Unit
We are currently offering a $1,000 sign on bonus for Veterinary Assistant hires.
- Provide excellent care and ensure cleanliness and comfort of all AMC patients
- Provide appropriate assistance with emergency patients
- Assist with patient admissions, transfers, and discharges
- Facilitate patient visits
- Perform accurate record keeping and data entry
- Communicate changes in patient’s behavior and voids to doctors and technicians
- Maintain excellent working relationships between departments
- Ability to lift and restrain animals weighing up to 50 pounds
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment, demonstrating a high level of initiative
- Must exhibit good organizational, multi-tasking, and communication skills
- Must have ability to remain composed in stressful and emergency situations
- Must be able to follow detailed protocols
- Must neatly and correctly fill out paperwork as necessary
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent
- Approved Veterinary Assistant or equivalent certificate a plus, but not required
- Flexibility and the ability to accommodate shift work in a hospital that is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Our comprehensive benefits package includes:
- Competitive salary
- Generous sign-on bonus $1,000
- Generous paid time off
- Tuition assistance
- 75% discount on veterinary care
- 403b matching
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- You may be eligible for The Public Loan Service Forgiveness Program as we are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit employer
$17.30 – $22.00 per hour
Interested and qualified candidates should email resume/application, with cover letter, to email@example.com or fax 212-758-8157.
The Schwarzman Animal Medical Center offers excellent benefits including medical/dental insurance, tuition assistance, retirement plan, pet care discounts and more. Interested and qualified candidates should apply with a resume/application and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 212-758-8157. Please visit our website www.amcny.org for more information.