Licensed Veterinary Technician, Neurology
Licensed Veterinary Technician, Neurology
Pets can suffer from most of the same spinal cord, brain, muscle, and nerve diseases as humans. These illnesses fall under the specialty of veterinary neurology and neurosurgery.
The Schwarzman Animal Medical Center’s neurology team is led by board certified neurologists with over 25 years of combined experience. Our neurologists are available for appointments seven days a week, and have access to all specialties within the hospital, ensuring comprehensive, collaborative care.
Cutting-Edge Collaborative Care
Schwarzman AMC employs the most state-of the-art medical equipment to make a definitive diagnosis of neurological problems, including:
- Advanced neuroendoscopic equipment for surgical visualization via minimally invasive approaches
- Neuronavigation technology (Brainsight 2) for surgical guidance in cranial and spinal surgery, as well as minimally invasive brain biopsy
- Cutting-edge neurosurgical equipment (NICO Myriad and Sonocure) for safe and effective ablation of tumors
- 5 Tesla Philips MRI (the exclusive high field MRI for small animals in NYC)
- 64-slice spiral CT scanner
- Electromyography (EMG, NCVS, BAER, RNS, and sensory evoked potentials) Electroencephalography (EEG)
- In-house laboratory for cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) analysis
- Muscle and nerve biopsy
The neurology service is committed to pioneering minimally invasive neurosurgical procedures to reduce hospitalization and recovery time for their patients and provides care for patients with chronic neurological conditions such as seizures and neuromuscular weakness (myasthenia gravis). The service is passionate about providing superior care for neurological emergencies. The service head, Dr. Chad West, is a recognized expert in traumatic brain injury, and patients have traveled from as far away as Hong Kong for treatment.
Neurology service technicians are critically important to the successful diagnosis and treatment of these dynamic and exciting patients. Dedicated neurology technicians help care for pets from initial exam to discharge. They provide care for emergent cases and build relationships with clients and their pets. Tender loving care and “all of the small things” are the most important factors for successful treatment and to diminish the pets’ stress of being in the hospital. In the ward treatments are provided by dedicated ward technicians and allows for neurology technicians to focus on TLC and the diagnosis and treatment of these complicated disease processes. Our neurology technicians perform advanced imaging using CT and MRI modalities and anesthesia support during neurosurgical procedures. Technicians are truly part of the team and work collaboratively with Senior Veterinarians and participate in rounds and teaching veterinarians and other technicians.
Primary job responsibilities include:
- Provide anesthesia and nursing care for the Neurology Service
- Train in Emergency care, anesthesia, surgery, and recovery for neurology patients
- Ability to train in CT/MRI modalities
- Assist with all aspects of patient care from admission through discharge, including departmental rounds
- Communicate with clients and help manage long term patient care
- Communicate with surgery staff to coordinate operating room needs for neurosurgeries
- Motivated self-starter, able to work with minimal supervision
- Help provide neurological patient education to clients, interns, and residents
- Participate in research and educational projects
- Must have NYS Veterinary Technician’s license
- Knowledge of the techniques associated with advanced neurology care of veterinary patients is preferred, but not required
- Strong skill in phlebotomy, catheter placement, anesthesia protocols and monitoring and the post operative care preferred but not required
- Willing to train the right candidate that shares our core values and mission
- Must be able to work successfully as part of a team
- Ability to lift and restrain animals weighing up to 50 pounds
- Ability to communicate clearly with clients and staff members
Our comprehensive benefits package includes:
- Competitive salary
- Generous sign-on bonus
- Four-day work week
- Generous paid time off
- Tuition assistance
- 75% discount on veterinary care
- Paid continuing education time-off and stipend
- Relocation reimbursement for qualified candidates who live outside the NYC metropolitan area
- Free housing for 1 year for qualified candidates who live outside of the NYC metropolitan area
- 403b matching
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A hospital-wide renovation to launch an expanded, modernized, state-of-the-art teaching hospital that will pave the way for a fulfilling professional experience.
- You may be eligible for The Public Loan Service Forgiveness Program as we are a 501(c) non profit employer
$30.00 – $37.50 per hour
Interested and qualified candidates should email resume/application, with cover letter, to email@example.com or fax 212-758-8157.